|This is how we became the South Florida GCSA|
The first records of organized activity began in 1939 when a group of South Florida superintendents got together and formed the South Florida GCSA. Jimmy Blackledge was the first president. In 1940 the group discussed the idea of expanding across the state but got a very meager response for their efforts. In 1949 the Tampa-St, Petersburg area did form a West Coast Association. In the 1960's the Florida-Georgia Turf Association formed in North Florida and the Everglades Association formed in Southwest Florida.
During the 70's and 80's the rest of the local chapters began forming around the state.
The South Florida GCSA is involved on a long time community project supporting the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children ( NCMEC).
NCMEC is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. Since it was established by Congress in 1984, the organization has operated the toll-free 24-hour national missing children’s hotline which has handled more than 2,400,000 calls. It has assisted law enforcement in the recovery of more than 142,100 children.
In 1984, the South Florida Golf Course Superintendents Association board members, including Bill Entwistle Sr. and David Lottes, held the first benefit tournament at Emerald Hills Country Club in Hollywood, Florida which is located several miles from where the child Adam Walsh was abducted. Subsequently the site of the tournament moved from Bonaventure to Inverrary Country Club, later it moved again to Colony West Country Club and most recently it moved to its current home at the Carolina Club in Margate, Florida.
“The SFGCSA has been an important long-term supporter and partner of NCMEC,” stated Ernie Allen, president and CEO of NCMEC. We are proud to be associated with the SFGCSA and grateful for their ongoing support of our mission and their commitment to help keep the children of south Florida safe.”